Coir Mat - Erosion Control (Biodegradable) - Coconut Fibers - 4 ft Wide (Lasts 2-5 yr)
Control erosion anywhere with coir matting rolls!
Stop soil erosion on slopes, hillsides, riverbanks, and oceanfront properties with Sandbaggy coir matting rolls! Our coir matting provides 2-5 years of erosion control protection, even on steep slopes (up to 2:1) and slopes that have no vegetation! This is 5 times longer than standard jute netting or straw blankets.
Also known as a coconut mat, Sandbaggy coir mats are an eco-friendly erosion control product. Made from 100% natural coconut fibers, our matting will biodegrade into the ground after 2-5 years becoming fertilizer for the plants.
Our coir matting meets or exceeds DOT requirements for an erosion control product.
How Sandbaggy Coir Matting Protects Your Property
Coir Mats are used to stabilize soil and/or promote plant growth by allowing vegetation to take root. Use them for:
How Sandbaggy Coir Mat Stopped Soil Erosion on a Steep Hillside
Our coir matting rolls are so easy to install, it only took this customer 2 hours to install it on a steep slope in her yard.
- Material: 100% coconut fiber
- No synthetic materials
- 100% biodegradable: no cleanup necessary, eco-friendly
- Approximate Opening Size (Holes): 1 Inch by 1 Inch
- Staples Required Per Roll: 200-250 Landscape Staples
- Slope: Up to 2:1
- Roll Size:
- 4 ft by 30 ft (120 sq ft)
- 4 ft by 80 ft (320 sq ft)
- 4 ft by 165 ft (660 sq ft)
100% Biodegradable - Made from natural coconut fibers
Coir matting is biodegradable because it's made from natural coconut fibers! This makes coir matting an eco friendly erosion control option.
- Stop erosion immediately: Whether you want to stabilize slopes or control erosion, coir matting will do the job.
- Here's how Coir Matting stops erosion: During storms, rain hits the ground at approximately 20 MPH. This high velocity of water dislodges soil and causes erosion on a hillside.
When Coir Matting is installed, it acts as a layer or pillow that absorbs a majority of the impact/velocity from rainwater. The soil will still get wet, but the impact of the rainwater hitting the soil is substantially reduced which stops soil from dislodging. In the openings of the matting, rain water will still hit/dislodge the soil, but the netting 1 inch underneath will capture the soil and not allow it to roll down the hill.
The key to an effective erosion solution is to place staples every 1-3 feet apart, ensuring good contact between the soil and the Coir Mat.
- Lasts 4-10X longer than straw blankets or jute (6 month life): The strong coconut fibers in coir matting allow it to last 2-5 years, even when a slope has no vegetation
- Can be submerged in water: Coir matting can protect against erosion on oceans, lakes, and rivers/streams, even when submerged in water. This is great for waterfront properties with erosion from waves.
- Protect Burned Hillsides After Wildfire: After a wildfire, the biggest threat remains - erosion. To protect from erosion, Sandbaggy Coir Matting should be installed before the next rainstorm
- Easy installation: Unroll the coir mat and secure it to the ground with landscape staples, whether on a hillside or a shoreline
Slope Erosion Control On A Malibu Nature Preserve
After multiple wildfires and big rainstorms, erosion became an increasingly larger issue at the Malibu Nature Preserve. They decided to order 10 rolls of this Coir Mat and cover about 6000 square feet of exposed soil. After installation, this Coir Mat has stopped erosion on their hillsides.
In the Press
Sandbaggy Coir Matting has been written up by Fox, Daily Herald, MarketWatch and other news outlets for its specially designed extended life fabric.
- Prepare the soil by raking the area free of stones and clods. A Bobcat or tractor may be needed for large jobs. Do not compact. If using fertilizer, add it to the soil before grading.
- Seeds and Mulch (if required) should be distributed evenly over the prepared soil.
- Coir Matting should be applied by unrolling down the slope or in the direction of water-flow.
- Dig a trench across the top of the slope. This trench should be 6 inches by 6 inches.
- Install the Coir Matting in the trench. Place at least 12 inches of the roll above the trench (further up the slope). Space each staple about a foot apart inside the trench
- Once staples are installed inside the trench, backfill and compact dirt inside the trench.
- Bring the extra 12 inches of the coir roll (on step 5) and cover the trench area. Use additional staples (1 foot apart) secure.
- Place staples 18" to 24" apart throughout to secure matting to ground. All staples must be driven flush with soil surface.
- Always overlap the edges 2" to 6". At the end of each roll, fold back 4" to 9” of the matting. Overlap this 4" to 8" over the start of the next roll. Securely staple the two layers to the ground.
Is coir matting the same as coconut matting?
Coir and coconut matting are synonymous with each other. That's because coir mats are made from coconut fibers.
Is coir matting good?
Coir matting is good for erosion control because it's strong, durable, water resistant, and environmental friendly. This makes them some of the strongest biodegradable erosion mats on the market.
How long do coir mats last?
The strong coconut fibers in coir matting allow it to last 2-5 years, even when a slope has no vegetation. The coir will then break down in the soil and provide a rich layer of nutrients for the plants.
What can I use instead of coir matting?
The best alternative to coir netting is jute netting. Just like coir matting it's 100% biodegradable. Jute lasts 6-9 months, while Coir lasts 2-5 years.
What is the difference between the types of rolls you sell?
|Roll type|| |
Orange landscape fabric
|Material||Jute||Coconut fiber||Polypropylene woven fabric||Burlap|
|Length||225 ft||165 ft||300, 500 ft||100, 300, 500 ft||300 ft|
|Width||4 ft||4 ft||3 ft||3 ft||3.33 or 6 ft|
|Coverage||900 sq. ft||660 sq. ft||900 or 1,500 sq. ft||300 - 1,500 sq. ft||1,000 or 1,800 sq. ft|
|Price/sqft (1,000 sq. ft)||$0.17||$0.30||$0.08||$0.09||$0.15|
Beach / shoreline erosion
Table / aisle runner
Tree / shrub protection
|Life||1-2 years||2-5 years||9-12 months||9-12 months||N/A|
|Anchored using||6-inch sod staples||N/A|
We Also Recommend
Jute Netting - Erosion Control (Biodegradable) - 4 ft or 8 ft Wide (Lasts 6-24 mo)
Coconut Blanket - Erosion Control (Biodegradable) - Steep Slopes (1:1) - 3.75 ft Wide (Lasts 2-5 yr)
Plastic Sheeting Roll - 10, 20 or 40 ft x 100 feet - Black Polyethylene, Vapor Barrier
Straw Mat with Double Net - Erosion Control (Biodegradable) - 4 ft Wide (Lasts 2 yr)
Native pond restoration
Product arrived by United postal service. Two men carried 6 rolls several thousand feet. We applied it to hold banks of natural pond that will be planted with native plants in the spring. Easy application but recommend rubber hammers and we purchased green eco friendly staples with no plastic that you did not carry. As a 30 year landscape contractor we will use again. Pound ridge, ny
I chose the Coir mat for my landscape project. I needed something to control the soil erosion as well as hold the new wood mulch that I’m installing on my sloped side yard. The coir netting is perfect for this and it’s also great that it’s all natural and biodegradable. I had questions on the product which were all answered via email in a timely manner as well as gave me suggestions on other products on how to accomplish what I needed. Great customer service and product. I will definitely recommend purchasing from Sanbaggy.
Secure hills from Bobcat Fire scare in Big Santa Anita Canyon
I selected Coir Mat - Biodegradable Erosion Control Matting to secure my hill after the Bobcat fire raced through our canyon and destroyed 17 historic cabins in September 2020. I have purchased two rolls for my hill and back on line to purchase two more as the product comes as advertised and easy to installed. Also not customer service is outstanding.
Waiting for big wind
Easy to cut and position. Have not had any big wind yet to see how this will secure my sand area, but am amazed as how easy it is to walk on in a flat sandy area.
Fast Delivery, Great product.
We are using the jute ground cover to start recovering a disturbed area of high altitude, windy, sandy soil. This product is perfect.