Coir Mat - Biodegradable Erosion Control Matting - Lasts 2-5 years - Better Than Jute
How Sandbaggy Coir Matting Protects Your Property
Case Study: How Sandbaggy Coir Mat Stops Erosion on Laguna Beach, CA Property
- Material: 100% coconut fiber
- No synthetic materials
- 100% biodegradable: no cleanup necessary, eco-friendly
- Approximate Opening Size (Holes): 1 Inch by 1 Inch
- Staples Required Per Roll: 200-250 Landscape Staples
- Stop erosion immediately: Whether you want to stabilize slopes or control erosion, coir matting will do the job.
Here's how Coir Matting stops erosion: During storms, rain hits the ground at approximately 20 MPH. This high velocity of water dislodges soil and causes erosion on a hillside.
When Coir Matting is installed, it acts as a layer or pillow that absorbs a majority of the impact/velocity from rainwater. The soil will still get wet, but the impact of the rainwater hitting the soil is substantially reduced which stops soil from dislodging. In the openings of the matting, rain water will still hit/dislodge the soil, but the netting 1 inch underneath will capture the soil and not allow it to roll down the hill.
The key to an effective erosion solution is to place staples every 1-3 feet apart, ensuring good contact between the soil and the Coir Mat.
- Lasts 4-10X longer than straw blankets or jute (6 month life): The strong coconut fibers in coir matting allow it to last 2-5 years, even when a slope has no vegetation
Can be submerged in water: Coir matting can protect against erosion on oceans, lakes, and rivers/streams, even when submerged in water. This is great for waterfront properties with erosion from waves.
- Protect Burned Hillsides After Wildfire: After a wildfire, the biggest threat remains - erosion. To protect from erosion, Sandbaggy Coir Matting should be installed before the next rainstorm
- Easy installation: Unroll the coir mat and secure it to the ground with landscape staples, whether on a hillside or a shoreline
More Case Studies
After multiple wildfires and big rainstorms, erosion became an increasingly larger issue at the Malibu Nature Preserve. They decided to order 10 rolls of this Coir Mat and cover about 6000 square feet of exposed soil. After installation, this Coir Mat has stopped erosion on their hillsides.
In the Press
Sandbaggy Coir Matting has been written up by Fox, Daily Herald, MarketWatch and other news outlets for its specially designed extended life fabric.
- Prepare the soil by raking the area free of stones and clods. A Bobcat or tractor may be needed for large jobs. Do not compact. If using fertilizer, add it to the soil before grading.
- Seeds and Mulch (if required) should be distributed evenly over the prepared soil.
- Coir Matting should be applied by unrolling down the slope or in the direction of water-flow.
- Dig a trench across the top of the slope. This trench should be 6 inches by 6 inches.
- Install the Coir Matting in the trench. Place at least 12 inches of the roll above the trench (further up the slope). Space each staple about a foot apart inside the trench
- Once staples are installed inside the trench, backfill and compact dirt inside the trench.
- Bring the extra 12 inches of the coir roll (on step 5) and cover the trench area. Use additional staples (1 foot apart) secure.
- Place staples 18" to 24" apart throughout to secure matting to ground. All staples must be driven flush with soil surface.
- Always overlap the edges 2" to 6". At the end of each roll, fold back 4" to 9” of the matting. Overlap this 4" to 8" over the start of the next roll. Securely staple the two layers to the ground.
What is the difference between the types of rolls you sell?
Orange landscape fabric
|Material||Jute||Coconut fiber||Polypropylene woven fabric||Burlap|
|Length||225 ft||165 ft||300, 500 ft||100, 300, 500 ft||300 ft|
|Width||4 ft||4 ft||3 ft||3 ft||3.33 or 6 ft|
|Coverage||900 sq. ft||660 sq. ft||900 or 1,500 sq. ft||300 - 1,500 sq. ft||1,000 or 1,800 sq. ft|
|Price/sqft (1,000 sq. ft)||$0.17||$0.30||$0.08||$0.09||$0.15|
Beach / shoreline erosion
Table / aisle runner
Tree / shrub protection
|Life||1-2 years||2-5 years||9-12 months||9-12 months||N/A|
|Anchored using||6-inch sod staples||N/A|
We Also Recommend
Landscape Fabric | 40 Year Fabric | For Weed Barrier, Ground Cover, Garden | Heavy Duty Commercial Grade Fabric | 135 Lbs of Tensile Strength | Approved by DOT | 3 ft Wide
4 Ft Landscape Fabric | 40 Year Fabric | For Weed Barrier, Ground Cover, Garden | Industrial Grade Fabric | 135 Lbs of Tensile Strength | Approved by DOT | 4 ft Wide
6 Ft Landscape Fabric | 40 Year Fabric | For Weed Barrier, Ground Cover, Garden | Industrial Grade Fabric | 135 Lbs of Tensile Strength | Approved by DOT | 6 ft Wide
10 Ft Landscape Fabric | 40 Year Fabric | For Weed Barrier, Ground Cover, Garden | Industrial Grade Fabric | 135 Lbs of Tensile Strength | Approved by DOT